Thursday, January 24, 2008

plucked.

Ok, so many of you guys know I am preparing for my own wedding out in SF at the end of February. What you probably don't realize is that I am the highest maintenance "low maintenance" person you have ever met. I don't bother with makeup or hairstyling... I just shower and put on something relatively matching and walk out the door.

So today was definitely a first. I went to the highest rated salon I could find to have my brows shaped and trimmed.... I figure, if you do it for the first time it might as well be high quality. So I ended up at Michaud Cosmetix (69 Newbury St.) and worked with Sarah. Even though they pluck and it hurt a lot I think the end result was worth it. Sarah was great - a true professional who has been at Michaud for nine years - and I could tell she knew exactly what she was doing.



please note that it is really difficult to take a self-portrait at arms length when you have a huge lens.



If only I had taken that first-time-high-quality route when I randomly decided it was time to dye my hair this Monday for the first time. I thought I'd start with some highlights, nice and subtle.... and the herbal essence home highlights kit seemed like a good idea at the time. I asked my friend and fellow photographer Gwyneth to give it a go... and, well.... I ended up with spots on the top of my head. Going to Salon Cu tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

Ah, the joys of being a woman in our image-focused culture. Why do we do this to ourselves?

3 comments:

diana said...

After years of my sister bugging me, I finally started getting my brows shaped and waxed before the wedding. I have to admit, there is a big difference and I keep going back. Nothing like being pink and puffy for a whole day afterwards though ;)
You are beautiful!

k-bomb said...

I'll have to say that I do it myself. I may look uneven and those eyebrow hairs grow back quick, but I'm cheap! And I go through stages. Plus, getting stuff done before the wedding is good practice. Things can go wrong if you wait until a few days before!

Robin said...

Yeah, the stress that I am going through right now about losing weight for June is indescribable.