Friday, May 25, 2007

you know the book is going to be good when it starts like this.

"Most of the wedding guides we've seen assume you'll get engaged at least a year before your wedding date and that you'll happily spend every spare minute of those twelve months interviewing caterers and going to bridal salons. Yikes. What about going on dates? Or road trips? What about writing, painting, reading, playing music, and taking the dog out? It's easy to forget about the rest of your life when you get obsessed. We say, if you're going to be obsessed, find a topic that's more lasting than getting your bridesmaids' dresses to match the mint baskets."


One of my guilty pleasures is the book section of thrift stores. There's something about the thrill of the chase when you can find anything from a harvard textbook to a mint condition art book for $3. I always pause when I see wedding books, because as a wedding artist I naturally want to research as creatively as I can.

I took one of the interns into one of my favorite thrift stores today in search of a few specific props for our sessions next week. I inadvertently got sidetracked to the books, and the first one I picked up was a funky pink (!) one called ANTI-BRIDE GUIDE: tying the knot outside of the box .

Along with offbeat bride, I'd recommend this book based solely on the promise I just found contained in that first paragraph! And the extra-special thing is that you can get for less than $2 through amazon marketplace.

No comments: